Top 5 facts about Louis Daguerre:
1. Louis-Jacques-Mandé Daguerre was born on November 18, 1787
2. He was a French artist and physicist, recognized for his invention of the daguerreotype process of photography.
3. Daguerre announced the latest perfection of the Daguerreotype, after years of experimentation, in 1839, with the French Academy of Sciences announcing the process on January 7 of that year.
4. Daguerre's patent was acquired by the French Government, and, on August 19, 1839, the French Government announced the invention was a gift "Free to the World."
5. He died on July 10, 1851.
via YouTube, Wikipedia